Saturday 21 June 2008

Coincidently

I found out yesterday that Watford is twinned with Wilmington, Delaware. This is interesting because yesterday I was in Watford and a week tomorrow I will be Wilmington, Delaware.

I set off on Sunday afternoon for a summer of madness with UrbanPromise, who, amongst other things, run a summer camp for children in the inner-city. You'll find me in the art room, the intern house, the kitchen; at staff devotions, leading bible-buddies, crammed on a bus and probably struggling in the heat.

I'm very much looking forward to going though aware of the culture shock likely to meet me - inner-city Wilmington is home to the realities of poverty, drugs and crime and the children we'll be working with are from largely broken families.

It's a great challenge, privilege and opportunity to give what I've got to this place, its people and to the ministry that is UrbanPromise.

My first UrbanPromise encounter was at an Easter day concert in 1999. A gospel choir made up of young people who were part of the UrbanPromise progamme in Camden, NJ, made a sound that I can honestly say I've not heard any other gospel choir match. 8 years later when some UP reps came to college, I felt challenged to get on board.

So here I am, a week from my trip.

More to follow.

www.urbanpromise.org

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi Helen,

thanks for your comment on my blog.
Pleased that you enjoyed our newsletter.

How did your time in Wilmington go? Sounds exciting.

Finished Sine's book - The New Conspirators - good read.

What subjects/modules have you got this year?

Have a great weekend

Mark,LINDORES